Do Not Version Files | Use gitignore svnignore cvsignore
Do Not Version These Artifacts
Do not version these 7 key artifact types. If necessary use the gitignore, svnignore and cvsignore features. Better still – arrange your download, create, build, deploy and delivery systems so that these files do not end up in your versioned directory tree.
The 7 file types (artifacts) that are not suitable for versioning are
- passwords, security keys and credential files
- large media files (videos, big images)
- downloadable install/upgrade files
- disk images and large virtual machine files ( like vdi and iso files)
- large database and other recovery archive files
- build target files – Do version the source files including the build scripts. Don’t version build output files like JAR files, WAR files, EAR files, exe files
- Already versioned or recoverable files – like WordPress content versioned by WordPress and recoverable through MySQL database backups
The above files should not be inside versioning systems like CVS, SVN, Perforce, Git, PCVS.